PDA

View Full Version : Khatib Bongsu?

Birdwing
18-Jun-2004, 11:20 AM
Anyone been there b4? Any butts to "catch" there? ;-)

I've only been there once for a birding/recce trip. Consists mainly of mangrove swamps and forested areas. Not sure of insect wildlife there, but I did see some butts by the track on the way in, not sure which species as I did not attempt to ID them. (was in a vehicle then)

Maybe Khew/Gan or the veteran butt observers on the forums care to enlighten us on this place? Just looking for new alternative places besides the usual AH/BG/Sime track localities. One downside of Khatib Bongsu however, is that its really inaccessible if you don't drive. :sweat:

Commander
18-Jun-2004, 11:26 AM
Anyone been there b4? Any butts to "catch" there? ;-)

I've only been there once for a birding/recce trip. Consists mainly of mangrove swamps and forested areas. Not sure of insect wildlife there, but I did see some butts by the track on the way in, not sure which species as I did not attempt to ID them. (was in a vehicle then)

Maybe Khew/Gan or the veteran butt observers on the forums care to enlighten us on this place? Just looking for new alternative places besides the usual AH/BG/Sime track localities. One downside of Khatib Bongsu however, is that its really inaccessible if you don't drive. :sweat:

Yes, we've been there before. The species there are quite similar to Sg Buloh Wetlands Reserve - i.e. mangrove type of environment. Not as many, but may encounter species which are not found easily elsewhere (like for Neo, who's hitting 64 and counting, it may be somewhere to increase his count).

There are other locations in our acronym (http://www.butterflypals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60) list. Check those out as well.

Common Rose
18-Jun-2004, 11:46 AM
Been there once last Dec, for general nature outing. Inexperience, saw yellows only, which were easy to spot 'cause they congregate ...

If I go there now, maybe can spot more species; butts radar quite sensitive now ;-) .

Green Baron
18-Jun-2004, 04:24 PM
As mentiond by Khew, you will find similar species as SBWR - those that frequent mangrove type vegetation. Species that you will likely to find at KB includes BGT/DGT/CT, Striped Blue/King Crow, Sumatran sunbeam, Pea Blue, Grass Yellows etc.
Other than AH, the other palces that are good for photography are USR, SICC, McRitchie Reservoir and Pasir Ris Park.