PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies release @ weddings?

bell
24-Feb-2005, 10:09 PM
Chanced upon a few US websites like this one: http://www.butterflyreleases.com/
which sell live butterflies for release at events like wedding ceremonies!

Apparently, according to Indian folklore, "Butterflies represent the transformation that occurs when two people join lives."

Buyers can choose single or mass (like 50 butterflies in a white box!) release!
They ship the boxes a day before the event and at the event time, the butterflies are released!

Gosh! Won't the poor butts be very stressed all cramped within a box for so long? Do nature conservationists actually allow this kind of business?

Commander
24-Feb-2005, 10:46 PM
Yes, this is allowed in the US, and is even quite a lucrative business. Basically they put Danainaes (Monarchs, Queen, etc.) in a triangular box which the guests open and release the butterflies at the right time.

Danainaes are usually very robust and can survive a bit of cramped enclosure for awhile. I've had a friend bring back a Monarch for me from a US trip, and it was still alive after 7 days in a paper envelope!

But anyway, the environmentalists are not too hot on these releases and issues such as the transmitting of viruses and other genetic disorders that can be passed from location to location, hence destroying the butterflies in different states in the US.

Birdwing
25-Feb-2005, 03:04 AM
Saw before on TV news, publicising abt. weddings being held at Singapore Zoo, they open a box containing some fresh hatched Common Birdwings which flew out. :confused:

Commander
25-Feb-2005, 09:44 AM
Saw before on TV news, publicising abt. weddings being held at Singapore Zoo, they open a box containing some fresh hatched Common Birdwings which flew out. :confused:

As long as they can prove that all the butts that they release are locally-bred, there's not much that the authorities (AVA) can do about it. I believe something like that was done on Sentosa too, but I'm not sure if the butts were from locally-bred stock. But that was only one rare occasion, and it's not really caught on yet. I'm sure the AVA (and NSS) would move in, if this becomes too widespread.

Commander
25-Feb-2005, 09:44 AM
I think there are some sources (ie. butterflies in envelope) from Malaysia too? Came across some online sites selling them.

Yes, I know the company. But AVA did not grant them the permits and the sales were stopped (as far as the public adverts are concerned).

bell
25-Feb-2005, 03:48 PM
thks all... first time i hear of butterfly release...
but feel so sad for those that don't make it lor...
well, may be at least itz not as bad as those who
catch & kill the butts for profits