PDA

View Full Version : Captive vs Wild butterflies

Falcon
24-Jan-2005, 06:30 PM
Do you guys consider AH as a site for "captive" butterflies whereas Sime forest is more for "wild" butterflies? Any suggestions for places to go? I am planning to do a project(school) to compare the butterflies in these 2 different environments. Do you think it is feasible or are the differences very subtle? Any kind of inputs are welcome.

Commander
24-Jan-2005, 06:48 PM
AH is considered a "free-ranging" butterfly trail where the butterflies are not kept in any enclosure. They are free to come and go as they please, and hence should be considered "wild".

Sentosa Butterfly Park is an example of captive butterfly environment.

Birdwing
24-Jan-2005, 06:48 PM
I am not an expert on these matters, just want to offer my insights. From what I know, most of the butts at AH are theoretically wild butts which have flown in from places nearby, there are also some which have hatched there in the Trail itself, and perhaps a few which have been bred in the cages and then released in the Trail. The butterflies aren't in a confined space or a large "aviary" like the ones in the Zoo (Fragile Forest) and Sentosa Butterfly Park, so I don't really think they are "captive" butterflies. (well not the majority at least, unless you consider those bred in cages captive).

Perhaps you can go to places like Sentosa Butterfly Park to compare and contrast between it and say places like Sime Forest, or TBHP? Another difference also is that in this butt park, some of the species are not indigenous local species but may have been imported.

Falcon
24-Jan-2005, 09:53 PM
Thank you, Khew and Steven.

Other than being confined, am I right to say that places like Sentosa Butterfly trails are free from predators? And these butterflies normally die a natural death?

megaweb
24-Jan-2005, 10:02 PM
Thank you, Khew and Steven.

Other than being confined, am I right to say that places like Sentosa Butterfly trails are free from predators? And these butterflies normally die a natural death?
I have talked to the Sentosa butterfly park staff before. He told me there are a few lizards and small snakes (at the corners) to maintain the population of the butterflies. To know more information, you should ask he for detail. Usually you can find him at the park in the morning 9am releasing the new butterflies.

Falcon
24-Jan-2005, 10:10 PM
I have talked to the Sentosa butterfly park staff before. He told me there are a few lizards and small snakes (at the corners) to maintain the population of the butterflies. To know more information, you should ask he for detail. Usually you can find him at the park in the morning 9am releasing the new butterflies.

Thanks, megaweb. :-) Will talk to him if I visit the place. Just checked the admission fee. It is $10 for adult. :sweat: