PDA

View Full Version : The Knight spotted at AH

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 04:28 PM
I am still very puzzled by Knight shot by Ying Ling.:hmmm:
http://zookeeper.clubsnap.org/gallery/albums/butts200409/20041208_05.jpg
Knight is a forest butterfly and it is unlikely that it can fly from the central catchments, Ubin or Telok Blangah Hill Park to AH. The only explanation I can think of is it is 'introduced' into AH through plants brought into AH. :thinking: I checked with Rosalind and she confirmed that her contractor brought in some Ixora recently.

I am not sure if you guys noticed but the Knight shot by Ying Ling is actually a Malaysian species ! Lebadea martha malayana and not our local species - Lebadea martha parkeri ! The AH contractor could have brought in the Ixora from Johor which explains why it is the Malaysian species.
Anyway, this is just my theory ... :-) and if my theory is correct, this will be the last we see a Knight at AH, unless we start an introduction program ;-)

Rustic
13-Dec-2004, 04:35 PM
A lot more of white on the hindwing (on the marginal border?).

hmm. just wonder: how many of the species was introduced "accidentally". Quite amazed by the number of species spotted in AHBT which is quite "far" from most reserves.

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 05:01 PM
The hind wings of the Malaysian species are more brownish while the local species is more purplish, though we have seen quite a lot of in betweens in Ubin. C&P4 has photo of both. Take a look.

Birdwing
13-Dec-2004, 05:09 PM
Quite an interesting insight Gan! Thanks for sharing.

p.s makes me wonder which are the species at AH that are truly accidental "visitors" and which are the ones which were inadvertently introduced. :thinking: But guess most of them should be visitors since forest-dwelling butterflies are rarely seen at AH.

Sky Blue
13-Dec-2004, 05:14 PM
i saw the Knight at AH yesterday noon as well :-)

Common Rose
13-Dec-2004, 05:41 PM
Anyway, this is just my theory ... :-) and if my theory is correct, this will be the last we see a Knight at AH, unless we start an introduction program ;-)
Maybe we happen to have a pair of couple and they like to start a new family in AH ...

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 05:55 PM
Please take a record shot if you see the Knight. The one shot by YL is a female. If that is the only one then we will not see a population at AH. If however there is another male, then there might be a chance of Knight making AH its residence..

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 07:28 PM
So Khew, should we record it as Lebadea martha malayana instead of Lebadea martha parkeri on AH checklist ?

Commander
13-Dec-2004, 07:33 PM
C&P4 theorises that the two subspecies can interbreed, so if we transplant a male parkeri at AH to mate with the female malayana, we may have some cross-breeds occurring at AH.

The Knight is not necessarily a forest butt. In Langkawi and Kedah, they are found in public parks where there's Lantana as well.

Shots of some record specimens for comparison. During our surveys in Tekong, specimens which come close to malayana have been found at Tekong, flying side-by-side with the parkeri ones.

Commander
13-Dec-2004, 07:34 PM
So Khew, should we record it as Lebadea martha malayana instead of Lebadea martha parkeri on AH checklist ?

Hmm.... like you said, it could be an "alien" which should not rightfully be recorded. I was also thinking about Neo's earlier shot of the Striped Black Crow. I wonder if it exists at AH too.

Common Rose
13-Dec-2004, 07:44 PM
Theoretically, subspecies implies can inter-breed; it's only variation due to geographical factors.

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 08:34 PM
Hmm.... like you said, it could be an "alien" which should not rightfully be recorded. I was also thinking about Neo's earlier shot of the Striped Black Crow. I wonder if it exists at AH too.
Personally I think we should exclude them until we have proof that they are not artifically 'introduced' into AH. For SBC, it is in the cage so we should definitely exclude it from the list.

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 11:24 PM
The Knight is not necessarily a forest butt. In Langkawi and Kedah, they are found in public parks where there's Lantana as well. Agree, Knight will visit open areas but usually these are at the fringe of forest or heavily planted areas (e.g. TBHP) which their host plants can be found. I believe we can establish a Knight population at AH if we plant their host plant at more secluded and shaded corner in AH.

Commander
13-Dec-2004, 11:26 PM
Agree, Knight will visit open areas but usually these are at the fringe of forest or heavily planted areas (e.g. TBHP) which their host plants can be found. I believe we can establish a Knight population at AH if we plant their host plant at more secluded and shaded corner in AH.

I noticed that Rosalind has planted Ixora congesta at the end of the AHBT? Perhaps that could be a place where the first Knight can establish a population there.

I'll take the Knight off the AH checklist then, until we see more of them again.

Green Baron
13-Dec-2004, 11:39 PM
I noticed that Rosalind has planted Ixora congesta at the end of the AHBT? Perhaps that could be a place where the first Knight can establish a population there.

I'll take the Knight off the AH checklist then, until we see more of them again.
She has quite a few species of big leaf Ixora but I doubt she has Ixora congeta, which is a wild species. However, I believe Khight feeds on other species of Ixora as well. I will make sure we have a Knight population at AH ;-)

peppermint
17-Dec-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi Gan,

What is that C&P4 about? Any URL? Thanks!

I thought i saw a purple tint on the wings of the knight that day leh, can't remember where exactly it is though, I even commented to my friend that this butterfly has a very pretty colour. it's the same one Ying Ling took. :hmmm: or maybe my eyes were playing a trick on me. haha :bsmile:

The hind wings of the Malaysian species are more brownish while the local species is more purplish, though we have seen quite a lot of in betweens in Ubin. C&P4 has photo of both. Take a look.

Sky Blue
17-Dec-2004, 10:37 AM
CP&4 - when your butterfly flu entering new stage then you will need it (--Neo) :bsmile: :bsmile:

refer to this thread (http://www.butterflypals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639)

peppermint
17-Dec-2004, 02:11 PM
haha, got it... so it's a book, no URL. ;P
thanks sky blue!

CP&4 - when your butterfly flu entering new stage then you will need it (--Neo) :bsmile: :bsmile:

Common Rose
17-Dec-2004, 05:01 PM

:bsmile: :bsmile: someone actually remember what I said.