PDA

View Full Version : What skipper is this?

Cruiser
07-Jun-2004, 01:01 AM
Took photo of this very nice skipper at the overhead bridge besides my flat at S. Nth this morning, any idea what's the ID?

Thanks in advance :-)

Sky Blue
07-Jun-2004, 10:12 AM
ha, now we start shooting at canopy level ;-)

Rustic
07-Jun-2004, 10:26 AM
Palm-Bob? hmm. does not seem to be the same color.
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/2382/hesperiidae/gremius.htm

Not coconut skipper, right? the white spot is missing. :P
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/2382/hesperiidae/irava.htm

Common Rose
07-Jun-2004, 10:34 AM
Wah, u also start shooting at overhead bridge! ;-) Can't help in the id, not enough level to recognise this species.

Green Baron
07-Jun-2004, 01:54 PM
This is one of those hard to Id Telicota sp

Cruiser
07-Jun-2004, 02:07 PM
ha, now we start shooting at canopy level ;-)

Ya lor, influence by Com Rose :bsmile: but actually got tip off from my wife saying that there are many Lime and Painted Jazebel fluttering there at the overhead bridge, just a 3 minutes walk from my HDB flat house. Since this a cloudy morning so I decided to try my luck there. Butts sighted include:

1. 1 plain tiger,
2. 3~4 Lemon Emigrant (two forms),
3. 3~4 Lime Butts, male & female,
4. 2 skippers, (posted the orange fro ID)
5. Cycad blue,
6. 2~3 Com Mime
7. 1 Painted Zazebel

Quite good considering the number of species sighted over at the OHB! in 1.5hrs time, Butts sighting at just your door step!

Commander
07-Jun-2004, 06:21 PM
Ya lor, influence by Com Rose :bsmile: but actually got tip off from my wife saying that there are many Lime and Painted Jazebel fluttering there at the overhead bridge, just a 3 minutes walk from my HDB flat house. Since this a cloudy morning so I decided to try my luck there. Butts sighted include:

1. 1 plain tiger,
2. 3~4 Lemon Emigrant (two forms),
3. 3~4 Lime Butts, male & female,
4. 2 skippers, (posted the orange fro ID)
5. Cycad blue,
6. 2~3 Com Mime
7. 1 Painted Zazebel

Quite good considering the number of species sighted over at the OHB! in 1.5hrs time, Butts sighting at just your door step!

Erm... it's Painted Jezebel. ;-)

Anyway, Gan's right - what you shot is one of the 3 Telicota species which occurs here in Singapore. I've not updated our Singapore checklist as there is always this nagging doubt about their ID's. Those of you who have C&P4, can compare, though the book doesn't show the undersides. So we'll have to depend on actual specimens. What is needed, are the males/females when mating. If you ever come across a mating pair, try to capture them for me to compare with those in my collection. The reason is that the males are females are slightly different and are also variable. :sweat:

The 3 species which occur here in Singapore (according to C&P4) are :

Telicota augias augias
Telicota besta bina
Telicota colon stinga