PDA

View Full Version : Is this Jamides caeruleus?

Painted Jezebel
05-Jul-2012, 10:52 AM
I have just been going through my J. alecto photos, and found this one, where, on the hindwing, the second basal stria in space 7 is closer to the third stria from the base in the cell than the second. This, according to C&P4 is a distinguishing feature of J. caeruleus. Is this right?

All other photos are fine as J. alecto.

Silverstreak
05-Jul-2012, 01:11 PM
Les,

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/Share/Borneo-J-caeruleus.jpg

Psyche
05-Jul-2012, 03:10 PM
It is Jamides alecto.

Although it matches the key on the underside, the upperside have to match as well.

Everything else here shouts alecto, the lighter ground colour, the broad white striae on the lower forewing, & the shape of the orange-crowned ocellus.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
05-Jul-2012, 09:17 PM
Thank you, both. At least I have it in the right place already, nothing to do. Hooray! I must admit that the broad stirae did have me doubting myself.

Psyche
06-Jul-2012, 09:34 AM
I didn't realise the female of J. caeruleus is very similar to elpis/alecto on the underside.
http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:JamidesCaeruleusMFUpUnAC1.jpg

If ID is doubtful ie. position of identifying stria is ambiguous.

Jamides caeruleus.
Forewing postdiscal band incompletely dislocated inwards at the lower end in space 3 so the outer stria of spot 3 is left hanging between the 2 striae above.
Hindwing inner striae usually straight ( not sinuous or slanted.)
Darker greyish-brown ground colour.
Male forewing striae poorly-defined (like that in J. bochus).

Jamides elpis/alecto.
Forewing postdiscal band usually completely dislocated inwards in space 3 so that the outer stria (margin) of spot 3 lines up to the inner stria(margin) above.
Hindwing inner striae often sinuous or slanted.
Paler brown ground colour.
Male with the forewing striae well-defined.

Thankfully in your case the broad white striae throughout the lower forewing is a clincher for J. alecto.(wingshape indicates male.)

TL Seow:cheers: