PDA

View Full Version : Pungent Taste

bluefin
27-Nov-2011, 11:32 PM
Was out today in the forest butt hunting and notice this Archduke having a feast on the "King of Fruit".
Seems like she also cannot resist having a go at the durian. :grin2:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6411514837_314f84ff6d_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46633426@N04/6411514837/)

moloch
28-Nov-2011, 11:25 AM
When I saw the title, I thought that you might have tried a Semanga superba deliciosa but found it not to your liking!

Looks like the Archduke was enjoying the fruit.

Regards,

Glorious Begum
28-Nov-2011, 05:58 PM
Wah.. not bad, still have Durian in SG. D24 or D700 ? :bsmile:

bluefin
28-Nov-2011, 09:53 PM
When I saw the title, I thought that you might have tried a Semanga superba deliciosa but found it not to your liking!

Looks like the Archduke was enjoying the fruit.

Regards,

:bsmile: :bsmile: David, the deliciosa is not so delicious after all.

Wah.. not bad, still have Durian in SG. D24 or D700 ? :bsmile:

Spore still have quite a fair bit of durian trees around. Most of them are D[Protected Place] type. :bsmile: :bsmile:

BTW D800 coming out soon, a beastly 36MP!

WillFolsom
29-Nov-2011, 07:30 AM
Nelson: Reading a lot of rumors! Looks quite promising! Has flooding subsided in Thailand or will they start production someplace else? William

teotp
30-Nov-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Nelson,

It is a well taken photograph of female Lexias pardalis feeding on rotten durian. The part I like the most is both compound eyes showing eyeshine.

In brief, the compound eyes of butterfly is marked distally by thick facet lens, focus together with the underlaying crystalline cone, primary and secondary pigmented cells, cylindrical structure consists of rhabdomere and visual sense cells. In darkness, the pigment granules are placed at a remote distance from the rhabdom. When the eye is exposed to bright light, they are propelled towards the rhabdom, rhabdom acts as an optical waveguide and thus incident light is propagated until it is absorbed by the visual pigment molecules, part of the light is propagated outside the rhabdon boundary. Therefore, when the small mobile pigment granules accumulate near the rhabdom they there absorbed light from the boundary wave, this reduce the light flux, leading to extinction of the eyeshine (Stavenga & Wunderer, 1999).

You deserve the words: swift, accurate and sharp!

Teo T P

bluefin
01-Dec-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi Teo, thanks for your kind words and detailed writeup about the compound eyes of the butterfly. :cheers: