PDA

View Full Version : book

Common Rose
08-Nov-2004, 01:05 PM
Borrowed a book in CP's territory a few days ago. It's a bilingual book, titled Butterfly Watching in Hong Kong (香江蝶影) by Hong Kong Lepidopterists' Society. It contains 226 species, some of which are found here, maybe different subspecies. There is a section, Suggested Walks and Sites, which will be useful if we want to go to HK.

Sky Blue
08-Nov-2004, 11:08 PM
oh ya. Now that you remind me. I should be borrowing that book! which section/call-number is it?

btw, we already booked the tickets and going ahead to meet HKLS members on 18/19 Dec 2004.

hehe, don't think there is butts during winter... ;P

Common Rose
08-Nov-2004, 11:17 PM
On pg 27:

In Hong Kong, several roosting sites have been spotted in the past few years, where large number of Danaid butterflies ranging from several hundreds to over a hundred thousand were seen aggregating. ... ... They may stay in a place for several days to months. When the weather is fine, they usually come out from the woodlands for food and water around nine a.m.. Hundreds of them can be seen flying around streams and flowers. ...

Sister Sophie
09-Nov-2004, 01:33 AM
Thank you for telling us about the HK Butterfly Book. I went to HK 2 years ago (and saw Landau Island, Macau, and also took the train to just over the southern China Border), but I did not see any Flutters anywhere.

However the Green Dragon Street Dance was GREAT on the top of Landau at the Monastery because it was the Birthday of the Great Budda.

I had a fabulous time in HK doing everything from Star Ferry, to the National Museums Exhibition, to the Bird Market, to the Flower Market, to Cat Street Antique Row, and over to the Stamp Shops in the Commercial Bank District, to Starbuck's Coffee at the top of Victoria, to take a Helicopter Ride around the Bay to the other side of the Island.

I hope to go back there some day and if I do, I will be watching for those Flutter-bys.

Sister Sophie

Common Rose
09-Nov-2004, 08:54 AM
Upto 10K was spotted clustering together in the roasting sites. :-)
During winter, butterflies either migrate or cluster together. ;P
You want to roast butterflies? :bsmile: It's roosting.

Sky Blue
09-Nov-2004, 10:04 AM
Upto 10K was spotted clustering together in the roasting sites. :-)
During winter, butterflies either migrate or cluster together. ;P

Thats great, hope that you got a full 'memory card' of butts! :bsmile:

Common Rose
10-Nov-2004, 11:12 PM
Some quotes from the book:

Taking a good butterfly photograph not only yields a feeling of achievement, it also provides enhancement to the appreciation of the beauty of nature. Every moment captured is unique and irreplaceable. It is harmony with nature. The living butterfly is our best model and nature furnishes the perfect background.

A good butterfly picture not only tells us what the butterfly looks like, with the most vibrant combination of colours and patterns, it also displays the very spirit of butterflies that can touch one's hearts. Butterfly photography is an art. It provides an opportunity for us to exercise our imagination, emotions and creativity.

There is no hard and fast rule for getting a superb beautiful photo on par with professionals. Behind every success there are many unsuccessful attempts. We learn by trial and error. Practice and patience make perfect.