PDA

View Full Version : UFO found on 2nd Nov AH

Common Rose
04-Nov-2004, 06:52 PM
Thot this was a Small Branded Swift. On closer reading, a SBS shld have a small cell-spot on the underside of the hw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/lepi/6001-6500/6197.jpg

Commander
04-Nov-2004, 06:56 PM
This genus is very variable. Take a look at C&P4's male and female. I have seen a whole range of variations from very distinct spots to nearly no spots at all. In fact, we're "lucky" we only have a couple of species to spot here in Singapore. If we were hunting in Malaysia.... :stupid:

Common Rose
04-Nov-2004, 06:59 PM
In fact, we're "lucky" we only have a couple of species to spot here in Singapore. If we were hunting in Malaysia.... :stupid:
Maybe we're wrong in thinking that " we're "lucky" we only have a couple of species to spot here in Singapore. " :thinking:

Commander
04-Nov-2004, 07:19 PM
Maybe we're wrong in thinking that " we're "lucky" we only have a couple of species to spot here in Singapore. " :thinking:

That's why I used "".

Common Rose
04-Nov-2004, 10:10 PM
Actually what I meant was that there may be a couple more new species out there.

Commander
04-Nov-2004, 10:12 PM
Actually what I meant was that there may be a couple more new species out there.

Oh.. ;P Actually, we also found a couple of new Pelopidas spp so far. Mainly in the Mandai and Bt Timah areas. So if we go often enough, there may be more.

Green Baron
05-Nov-2004, 12:39 AM
Actually what I meant was that there may be a couple more new species out there.I would caution against saying we have found a new species not recorded in Singapore, based on C&P4, just through photos. These small fellas (lycaenid and skippers) are quite variable as mentioned by Khew. The experts (C&P4 etc) have collected extensively over a very long period of time (>20 years) thus their list is, I would say 99.5% accurate. There is a very slim chance that the expert actually missed it or it is a new migrant. Unless the markings are very very distinct and not just a tiny spot here or there, I would say the porbability that it is a new species is very low :-(