PDA

View Full Version : Two Telicota specimens

horace2264
24-Dec-2010, 12:45 AM
Found these two Telicota specimens in the western wasteland.
ID suggestions are welcome. :)

Psyche
24-Dec-2010, 09:16 AM
Both are males. If it is based on only the 3 Singaporean species, then the IDS are easy.
In T. augias, on the underside, the overlap between the upper two spots (spots 4 & 5) of the band and the broader spot 3 below it is half or more. Here in both it is much less than that, so T. augias is at once eliminated.
In T. colon the orange spots have long orange vein-streaks which can also be seen on the underside. In pic 2 the vein-streak of spot 3 can be seen.
Thus pic 1 is T. besta and pic 2 is T. colon.
There is always a good chance that the widely distributed T. ohara will turn up in Singapore. Its underside looks identical to T. besta.

TL Seow:cheers:

horace2264
24-Dec-2010, 11:54 AM
Both are males. If it is based on only the 3 Singaporean species, then the IDS are easy.
In T. augias, on the underside, the overlap between the upper two spots (spots 4 & 5) of the band and the broader spot 3 below it is half or more. Here in both it is much less than that, so T. augias is at once eliminated.
In T. colon the orange spots have long orange vein-streaks which can also be seen on the underside. In pic 2 the vein-streak of spot 3 can be seen.
Thus pic 1 is T. besta and pic 2 is T. colon.
There is always a good chance that the widely distributed T. ohara will turn up in Singapore. Its underside looks identical to T. besta.

Many thanks, Seow for the detailed reasoning of how you arrived at the IDs of the two Telicota spp. :) This will definitely help me to differentiate the few local Telicota spp. when I encounter them again in the field.

If T. ohara and T. besta are similar on the underside, then the only way is to tell them apart would be on the upperside or in the early stages. :thinking: More work ahead for us. :sweat:

Silverstreak
24-Dec-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi Seow,

Could not resit taking a shot of this proud skipper.

My half-pass-six identification skill , point it to be a T. colon. ;P

Thanks in anticipation of your correction!!

This Telicota was shot in the same locality as those Horace taken earlier in the thread.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/1DMK3----6354---23_12_2010.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/Schir/1DMK3----6347---23_12_2010.jpg

:cheers:

moloch
24-Dec-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice shots, guys.

TL Seow, you have an incredible knowledge of the skippers. Their differences are so subtle.

Psyche
24-Dec-2010, 10:19 PM
Spot on Sunny, but I noticed from your pic 1 that those orange vein- streaks are not always visible.

However, T. colon can still be readily IDed by the two oddly-shaped upper spots 4 & 5. In particular, the uppermost spot 5 is shaped like a spool or yo-yo.

Thank you David, but I confess I made a comparison study earlier on.

Silverstreak
25-Dec-2010, 12:29 AM
Seow ,

Thanks you for the pointer on spots at space 4&5 .

Due to the difficulty in IDing the skipper , I have make it a point for an upper and side shot of the wings whenever possible.

It was the second shot of the fore wing lower, showing the fore wing postdiscal yellow streaks along the veins and with vein 1 b reaching the temen that I hazard the guess of it being the T. colon.

Cheers!