PDA

View Full Version : Kinabalu Park

Rustic
31-May-2004, 09:46 PM
The "new" Mesilau trail cut through the forest (with heavy canopy). Spotted some small butterflies along the way. Not many of them during the morning (probably too cold for the butts to dance around?). We rested at the waterfall around noon -- and saw a pair of "a large glassy tiger" (think Butler?) flying around the bridge spanning across the waterfall. ;p The area seems to be quite popular to the butterflies. [The waterfall is about 1.5 hour trek from the Mesilau gate]

The other area is near the Carson Fall at the old trail (which we took for our descent). A few small butterflies resting on the orchid leaves.

The park HQ area also have some (yellow-ish) butterflies. There are a lot more moths than butterflies. ;p

While I did not snap any of them, I played cheated to snap the specimens in the park show room. ;) will post the plates once i sorted out the pictures. did not manage to see the bird-wing look-alike there.

Commander
31-May-2004, 09:59 PM
Welcome back, CP! Looks like you enjoyed yourself. Looking forward to your butt posts. :-)

Rustic
01-Jun-2004, 05:36 PM
As mentioned last nite: the "stolen" plates. :) Kinabalu Park actually prided themselves to be "A Hotspot of Butterfly diversity in SEA".

As my images are too big to hot-link here, so I will leave the URL to the folder here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v210/skyflash/Butterflies%20-%20Malaysia/2004%20-%20Kinabalu%20Heritage%20Pk/

2004-Nov-20: URL updated

Commander
02-Jun-2004, 12:10 AM
As mentioned last nite: the "stolen" plates. :) Kinabalu Park actually prided themselves to be "A Hotspot of Butterfly diversity in SEA".

As my images are too big to hot-link here, so I will leave the URL to the folder here:
http://img69.photobucket.com/albums/v210/skyflash/Butterflies%20-%20Malaysia%20-%20Kinabalu%20Heritage%20Park/

Thanks for sharing. So where are your own shots leh? ;-)

Rustic
02-Jun-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks for sharing. So where are your own shots leh? ;-)

:cry: all objectives not achieved. :cry:

(1) sunrise - no sunrise becoz of thick cloud at the east. so end up we took a slow trek up to the summit. reaching the base of the peak @ 0630 (about 30min after day break). hitting the sumitt @ 0711.

(2) rafflesia - out of season! so no chance to see "RAFFLE"sia in person. :P

(3) butterflies - saw a handful along Mesilau Trail, and near the Park HQ area. Probably due to the timing. it was about 1100 to about 1400 when they appeared before me. mounted the wide-angle len, and was lagging behind as one of the last men. was not prepared to snap butterflies, when a handful of them appeared around Carson Fall too. :cry:

My first "butt-less" weekend(s). :)